[Smlug] Alternatives to ATT & CableOne

Donald Newcomb donald at Newcomb.ML1.net
Tue Feb 18 14:02:15 EST 2014

At the last meeting there was a little side discussion on alternatives to either ATT or CableOne Internet service. Frosty suggested I contact NTS Communications to ask about DSL. I did and got some interesting information. As they explained it to me, once ATT installs the fiber for U-verse to an area they block CLECs (Competitive Local Exchange Carriers) from being able to install new DSL service on those lines. Either that or NTS just resells ATT DSL and ATT isn't making DSL available. The bottom line is that it seems that we'll have to wait for CSpire to install their fiber before the duopoly has any competition.

If anyone has any other information, feel free to reply.

Don Newcomb