[Smlug] WD hard drive recovery?

Ladner, Eric (Eric.Ladner) Eric.Ladner at chevron.com
Mon Jun 9 12:35:16 EDT 2014

Drives today require the ID chip be transferred to a new controller, so you can't just buy an identical drive of the same type and swap controller boards.

I had a similar problem recently and found a web site where they'd swap your chip to a new board (~100 bucks if I remember, almost the cost of a new drive).  It worked...

This is assuming there are no mechanical problems with the drive, of course.