[Smlug] Interest in attending the SouthEast LinuxFest?

Spencer Candland spencerwcandland at gmail.com
Fri May 20 19:50:01 EDT 2016

I brought this up last meeting, but wanted to also send something to the
list to see if there is interest in attending the SouthEast LinuxFest.  It
is in Charlotte, NC June 10-12, more details can be found at
http://www.southeastlinuxfest.org/.  Attendance is free.

I am tentatively planning on attending, and am planning on driving, looks
like it is about a 9 hour drive.   Depending on interest from others I can
be flexible on which days to attend.  At the last meeting they did not yet
have a schedule posted, but it is posted now (
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Lsr8CMw_fZMUFA89lyQBjYSGiXRqjcs2Ug-kN_bCg24/edit),
so take a look to see what may be interesting to you.  It looks like their
group rate with the hotel the conference is at is all booked up, and they
are now directing people to a hampton inn where they will have a shuttle
available.  A quick online search also turned up a Microtel Inn just down
the street (0.4 Miles away) that has rooms for $51 a night (which to me was
more attractive then the $100+ at the Sheraton anyway), and since I plan on
having a vehicle, I don't feel it is necessary to stay on site anyway.

If anyone else is interested in attending, and would like to carpool,
please let me know. Also let me know what days you would be interested, or
able, to attend.  Depending on the interest I have a few different options
for vehicles that should sit up to 4 adults comfortably, and 5 not
comfortably, if people were wanting to get a little more intimate with each
other;)

Last meeting someone asked about the train, I did look it up and was
surprised to see it was possible to get a Amtrak out of New Orleans that
made it to Charlotte, it was not terribly cheap, or convenient, I don't
recall the exact details, but it looks like that is also a possibility if
someone wanted to go that route.

We can discuss this further tomorrow at the meeting, but thought it would
be a good idea to try to get a email out before as well.

- Spencer